When first starting out with baby sign language, you will want to do just a few signs that you repeat over and over. Once your baby learns these first few signs you can expand your repertoire. You want to start out with signs that you can use frequently and that represent something compelling to your baby.
A. Friends & Family Signs
Signs referring to important people in your baby’s life are early favorites. Not only will your baby love signing them, adults love teaching baby their sign – so you will get help from your partner, siblings, and relatives.
if you have friends or family that spend a lot of time with your baby, they are perfect collaborators to help teach your baby another sign. Have them sign the appropriate sign when they approach your child. For example, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, grandmother, or grandfather.
Pets are of great interest to babies. You can capitalize on this natural interest, so if you have a family pet these make great starter signs.
B. Food Signs
Babies love to eat, so start with some signs associated with favorite foods. Learning these signs is very useful, letting baby signal that they are hungry in a constructive way without fussing.
You can also select starter signs associated with one of your baby’s favorite things or notable sensations. If a child has a favorite toy, such as a rubber duck or teddy bear. A child that enjoys story time would enjoy learning book. Diaper is also very useful for babies that dislike having a soiled diaper and want a way to communicate when they need a change. Finally, happy is a great celebratory sign that you can do with your baby after you have had a good giggle together.
Get The Kit & Sign Smarter
The Baby Sign Language Kits, bundle together everything you need to get started with signing in one box, at a steep discount. The premium kit includes: (1) Baby Sign Language DVDs & CDs, (2) Baby Sign Language Guide Book; (3) Baby Sign Language Dictionary: (4) Baby Sign Language Flash Cards; and (5) Baby Sign Language Wall Chart.
Signing Time DVDs: Learning Made Fun
Baby Sign Language DVDs teach your baby to sign while keeping them entertained. This Emmy Award nominated program, teaches all the basics in a fun musical format. Your baby will learn:
- Food Signs – never miss when they are hungry, thirsty, want more or are all done
- Utility Signs – skip tantrums and understand when they are too hot, too cold, or need a diaper change
- Family Signs – greet grandma and grandpa
Flash Cards: Expand Vocabulary
- 52 Cards – add family, home, and animal signs
- Illustrated – pictures on the front, the sign on the reserve
- Durable – board mounted & includes a hard case for storage
Get The Kit & Sign Smarter
Teaching Guide: Get Faster Results
- Pepperberg Method – teach signs twice as fast
- Phrases – combining signs to make simple phrases
- Transition to Speech – transition to talking
Signing Dictionary: 600 Signs at Your Fingertips
- 600 Signs – have the right sign available when you need it
- Illustrated – each sign includes two diagrams with both starting and ending positions
- Letters & Numbers – start counting and alphabet games
Wall Chart: Reminder for Caregivers
- 14 Signs – all the basic signs
- Glossy Coating – wipe clean waterproof coating
- 24″ x 36″ – large format poster